Campus Buildings

SMITH HOUSE (1939), originally on the site where the Mackey Building now stands, was formerly the president's home. The house was moved behind McKay Hall in 1960 and named after Donnie Joel Smith, a student killed by lightning the day before his graduation from Trevecca in 1959. Smith House now serves as the residence for a campus employee and has been relocated next to the Guest House behind Georgia Hall.

McCLURKAN HALL (1943) was named after the founder of Trevecca, Rev. J. O. McClurkan. Completely renovated in 1981 and again in 2012, the building houses the Eva Green Benson Auditorium, classrooms, and faculty offices for the Millard Reed School of Theology and Christian Ministry.

ADAMS BUILDING (1944) is on the site of one of the three buildings purchased in 1937. The original structure was destroyed by fire in 1943, and the building was rebuilt one year later. Renovated in 2010-2011, the Adams Building now houses the offices of the University Provost, Associate Vice President for Academic Services, the Graduate Counseling Program, Technology Services, the Center for Teaching and Learning, and a conference room. The building is named in honor of Dr. Homer J. Adams for 30 years of service to the University, twelve (1979-91) as president.

TIDWELL FACULTY CENTER (1947). Tidwell Hall was built for use as a men's residence hall. The building was named in honor of the first student to enroll at Trevecca in 1901-Rev. W. M. Tidwell, a long-time pastor of Chattanooga First Church of the Nazarene. In 1974 Tidwell Hall was remodeled into a faculty center which now houses faculty offices, faculty conference rooms and lounges, and security offices.

WAKEFIELD FINE ARTS BUILDING (1954) in 1975 was named after Mr. A. C. Wakefield, a long-time song evangelist, for his contribution to church music. It houses classrooms, the Wakefield Auditorium, band and choral practice rooms, private practice rooms, Trevecca Studios (recording facility) and music faculty offices.

BUD ROBINSON HALL (1954), which currently houses the Center for Leadership, Calling, and Service, was named after “Uncle Buddy” Robinson who was a pioneer evangelist in the Church of the Nazarene. Originally the building was a cafeteria; a second floor was added in 1965 to house women residents. In 1984 the cafeteria became the snack shop and recreation center. Between 1992 and 1995 it was remodeled to house School of Education and School of Business Management offices, computer labs, and classrooms. In 2001 the Records Office was added after the School of Education was moved to the Mackey Building. In 2007 the School of Business and Management was moved to the Boone Business Building. In 2009 the building was renovated for the Center for Leadership, Calling, and Service and today includes academic services, career services, personal counseling, a classroom, a computer lab, and the Abba Java coffee shop, which was added in 2011.

MACKEY BUILDING (1961) was named after Dr. and Mrs. A. B. Mackey in recognition of their long years of dedicated service to the University. The former library was renovated in 2001 to house the School of Education offices and classrooms.

JOHNSON HALL (1963) was named after Sadie Agnew Johnson and serves as a residence hall for 100 women. In 2008 the Office of Academic Records was moved to the ground floor of the building.

GEORGIA HALL (1966) was built as a residence hall for 120 women and includes the student clinic. Georgia Hall was named for the Georgia District in recognition of its Education Budget being paid in full during 1966.

WISE HALL (1966), for many years used as a student residence hall, now houses apartments. The building was named in honor of Rev. H. H. Wise, a long-time pastor of Nashville First Church and a strong, loyal supporter of Trevecca.

TENNESSEE HALL (1966) was named in recognition of the Tennessee District for its Educational Budget being paid in full in 1966. It serves as a residence hall for 100 women.

GREATHOUSE SCIENCE BUILDING (1969), named in honor of Dr. William Greathouse, Trevecca president, 1963-68, houses the Department of Science and Mathematics and the Graduate Physician Assistant Program and includes laboratories, classrooms and faculty offices. The large auditorium was renovated in 2010, the first and fourth floor labs were completely renovated in 2011 and 2012, and an elevator was added in 2011. The third floor classrooms for the Graduate Physician Assistant Program were renovated in 2014.

MOORE PHYSICAL EDUCATION CENTER (1969), named in honor of Dr. Mark R. Moore, Trevecca president, 1968-1978, includes a gymnasium, handball courts, classrooms, locker rooms, athletic offices, and the Wellness Center. In 2014, the Wellness Center was expanded and the Exercise Science Program was moved into a suite of classrooms and lab space where the former batting cage had been located since the origins of the building.

REDFORD AND SHINGLER APARTMENTS (1971) were originally built to house married students. They were named after Rev. and Mrs. M. E. Redford, who gave longtime service on the Trevecca faculty, and Mr. T. J. Shingler, who was the founder of Southeastern Nazarene College in 1912. The college eventually merged with Trevecca in 1919. Since 2000-01 the apartment complex has been used as junior and senior residence halls. All 50 kitchens were renovated across 2012 and 2013, and the 20 restrooms in Shingler were renovated in 2014.

BUSH APARTMENTS (1973) were named after Miss Carrie B. Bush, a loyal friend and benefactress of the University, and are used as a residence hall for junior and senior female students.

BENSON HALL (1974) was named for John T. Benson, Sr. in recognition of his loyal support of Trevecca. Benson Hall serves as a residence hall for 266 men. Restrooms were completely gutted in 2011 and upgraded.

ARTS ANNEX (1982) In 2011 the Maintenance Building was renovated. The upper floor houses a classroom, radio station equipment and a working studio, offices, and an art studio. The rest of the building is used for drama costume storage, drama set production, and electric guitar and drum class/practice space.

MARKS GUEST HOUSE (1982) includes seven rooms for guests.

JERNIGAN STUDENT CENTER (1984), built on the site of McKay Hall, includes dining facilities, a snack shop (the “Hub”), meeting area, bookstore, copy center and post office, student activities offices, the Office of Student Development, and a conference room. It is named for Dr. and Mrs. Don Jernigan, benefactors of the University. The main dining room was renovated in 2010. The Hub was renovated in 2013.

TARTER STUDENT ACTIVITY BUILDING (1989), built on to the northeast corner of the Physical Education Center, is named in honor of Rev. R. E. Tarter, founder of the Trevecca Million Dollar Club, which funded the construction of the building. Drama productions, variety shows, concerts, and seminars are a few of the activities held in the building. The main auditorium was renovated in 2013.

MARTIN BUILDING (1990) houses the offices of the Executive Vice President for Finance and Administration, Human Resources, and Financial Services. The Office of Admissions was housed here until 2009. Funds for this structure were provided by gift income. The building was named for Paul Z. and Ethel Martin, benefactors of the University.

UNIVERSITY TERRACE APARTMENTS (1996) The apartment complex was purchased and renovated for married student, faculty, and staff housing.

WAGGONER LIBRARY (2000) was named after Don and Zelma Waggoner who provided funding for the building. It houses the library collections and offices, study rooms, media labs, and Quick Lecture Hall. In 2009 the ground level Academic Support Center was renovated to house the Office of Admissions.

BOONE BUSINESS BUILDING (2007), formerly used as an endowment property, was renovated in 2007. It houses a 920-seat convocation center, a snack shop, classrooms, and the offices of the Skinner School of Business and Technology and the School of Graduate and Continuing Studies. It is named after Trevecca president Dan L. Boone at the request of the family who gave the lead gift for the building renovation.

HARDY ALUMNI CENTER (2011) houses the Alumni Hospitality Center, meeting rooms and the offices of Alumni Relations, the University President, External Relations, and Marketing.

MAINTENANCE BUILDING (2014), relocated to 58 Nance Lane in the summer of 2014, houses offices and equipment for maintenance, grounds, and janitorial services.