The Physician Assistant Program
Mission Statement of the Graduate Physician Assistant Program MSM-PA
The Graduate Physician Assistant Program exists to prepare professionally competent physician assistants who will use their skills to serve their communities in compassionate ministry.
Physician Assistant Program Goals
- Prepare professionally competent physician assistants for entry into clinical practice.
- Maintain a level of first-time PANCE pass rates above the national average.
- Prepare physician assistants who will use their skills in compassionate ministry/service.
- Prepare physician assistant students to provide patient-centered health care to patients from diverse populations with a commitment to the ethical, legal and regulatory standards as part of an inter-professional collaborative team.
Statement of Purpose of the Graduate Physician Assistant Program
To fulfill the mission statement the Physician Assistant Program commits itself to:
- Recruit qualified candidates for admission into the program.
- Provide a high quality educational program, which meets Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant, Inc. (ARC-PA) accreditation standards.
- Provide adequate learning resources and support systems that assist students in meeting the academic requirements of the Physician Assistant Program.
- Integrate faith and learning in the life and thought of students.
- Encourage students to develop lifelong learning behaviors that prepare them for a career in medicine.
- Engage in ongoing review and evaluation of program effectiveness in preparing competent physician assistant graduates.
Student Learning Outcomes
Graduates of the Physician Assistant Program will be able to:
- Evaluate the patient using a comprehensive history, physical exam, and appropriate laboratory tests
- Interpret laboratory and diagnostic tests
- Formulate diagnosis and appropriate treatment plan
- Educate the patient about their medical condition
- Instruct the patient in healthy lifestyles
- Assist in surgery and perform such procedures as suturing, skin tag or nail removal, and established IV line