Biology Education BS (6-12)
This program is designed to prepare a teacher candidate for a career as a biology teacher in grades 6-12. Field experiences include observation and participation in grades 6-12 learning environments. Lesson planning and classroom management are included in courses and field experiences. A semester-long clinical practice (student teaching) experience is the culminating requirement of the biology education major.
The biology education major seeks to prepare teacher candidates who have a broad-based understanding of biology including experimental and analytical laboratory technique that will prepare them to be effective teachers of life science/biology (grades 6-12).
Student Learning Outcomes
Teacher candidates with a Biology Education major will be able to:
- Demonstrate their knowledge of biological principles;
- Apply knowledge and skills in experimental and analytical techniques, including health and safety precautions for lab procedures;
- Clearly communicate scientific information;
- Apply analytical and critical thinking skills to solve biological and ecological problems and to promote lifelong learning;
- Evaluate ethical implications of biomedical technology so that informed decisions can be made in light of Christian beliefs and values; and
- Perform effectively as a life science/biology teacher in middle/high school (grades 6-12).
FE Includes a Field Experience
Proof of Professional Liability ($1 million) required annually
General Education Core — 65 hours
: Freshman leadership course requirement. Candidates entering with more than 24 hours are exempt.
Choose one of the following — 3 hours
Major — 34 hours
Professional Secondary Core — 19 hours
|EDU 1020||Becoming a Teacher (FE-20)||
|EDU 1500||Foundations of Education||
|EDU 2300||Secondary Curriculum and Instruction (FE-20)||
|EDU 2556||Effective Classroom Environments||
|EDU 3410||Educational Tests and Measurements||
|EDU 3510||Teaching Reading and Writing in the Content Areas (FE-20)||
|EDU 4230||Methods and Materials for Secondary Education (FE-30)||
|SOC 3270||Education in an Urban Culture (FE-10)||
Professional Semester — 12 hours
Strongly Recommended Additional Courses
Total Credit Hours: 130