Trevecca History and Traditions
Trevecca Nazarene University was founded in Nashville in 1901 by Rev. J. O. McClurkan as the Literary and Bible Training School for Christian Workers. In 1910 the curriculum was enlarged and the name changed to Trevecca College, a name taken from an institution started in Wales in 1768 during the Wesleyan Revival.
In 1914 the College was moved from downtown Nashville to a site on Gallatin Road in East Nashville and in 1935 was established at its present location on Murfreesboro Road in Southeast Nashville. Trevecca became an official college of the Church of the Nazarene in 1917 and graduated its first four-year class approved by the State of Tennessee in 1942. It was first accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools in 1969. The first master's degree was added in 1984 with the fist candidates receiving master's degrees in education in June, 1985. In May 1989, candidates received the first master's degree in religion. In 1995 the name of the institution was changed to Trevecca Nazarene University. In December, 1998 Trevecca was approved as a level V institution by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to add the first doctoral degree, the EdD with a major in Leadership and Professional Practice. The first doctoral degrees in education were awarded in 2002.